Thursday, April 26, 2007

Ah Chew Desserts

Last visited: 24 April 2007

I had came here when they just started business in Singapore. My impression of the desserts is just average or even slightly below because I grew up eating the Cantonese desserts back in Hong Kong. Seriously, even now, no stall can be compared to those there.

Yet the second time I came here was right after I finished examinations in the last semester with my hall friends. Their standards of desserts have improved significantly. I tried the Hong Kong Ice Red Bean because of my nostalgic craving for the dessert that I ate as a child. To many others, it taste normal. Yet to me, it taste very close to the true Hong Kong Ice Red Bean style, which amazingly not many dessert stalls so far can follow.

Today I came here again after cell group meetings, and certainly I still recall how good it taste for the mango sago my friend ordered the other day. Hence, I give it a second try for my favourite mango sago this time. :P

Location

阿秋甜品 Ah Chew Desserts
1 Liang Seah Street (Bugis)
#01-11 Liang Seah Place
Singapore 189022
Tel: 6339 8198
Closed on mondays

Mango Sago with Pomelo

What makes this stall stands out in its mango sago is the pomelo meat inside. A signature dessert that you should not miss out.

Comments: The pomelo meat inside the mango sago enhances the feel of eating it (口感). The slight sour taste of the pomelo neutralises with the strong sweet taste of the mango. Hence, you won't feel sick of too much of the sweetening. The mango used is fresh and juicy. The sago used by the stall is of good quality as well in which the sago are slightly larger than most other dessert stalls or at restaurant. It gives the QQ feeling -- a chewing sensation like those of the black pearls used in the bubble tea. Love it! :)

Ratings (Total of 5 points)

Taste: 4.5
Quality: 4.5
Variety: 4.5
Cleaniness: 4.0
Price: $$ (S$3.80)
OVERALL: 4.5

Other remarks: It is a small shop yet it has many customers. You cannot really stay long at the place after you finished your dessert. Hence, if you intend to get a place to catch up with your friends and stay longer for chats, this is not a food place for you.

The other desserts like Steamed Milk and Steamed Egg taste as good too, with the importance that the steamed milk and egg doesn't give the consumer a very filling feeling. The desserts taste just alright, not too sweet and not too plain. Good. :)

No comments: