Monday, April 9, 2007

Royce Chocolate


Last eaten: Late March 2007

Bought it because of my growing cravings for good chocolates (not again! :P) and the numerous praises that I have heard about Royce chocolate. Even though it was just a small stall at Takashimaya Basement 2 outside the Cold Storage supermarket, it appears to have quite a large customer base, mainly the tertiary students, the young working adults, and as always the tai-tais league. It offers a range of high quality chocolates imported from Japan, a country that emphasize a lot of quality.

Comments: When I received the chocolate from the sales girl, I am totally in awe of the packaging of my choclate. Wrapped in a heat insulator bag, the chocolate instantly looks super classy. Can't wait to open the box, I realise the shop actually provides an ice pack on top of the box of chocolate to keep it in cool and perfect condition. And in the box, there is a small fork and a brochure on the details of the chocolate. All these preparations and packaging already impress the consumer. When I put the piece of chocolate in my mouth, it instantly melt inside by the heat of my body, not staining any gaps in my teet. Within seconds the chocolate is completely gone, leaving behind the unforgettable taste of the rich chocolate. Bittersweet.

All these only cost S$12.80 for a box of 20 pieces! Well, of course it is not considered cheap. But considering for such a high quality, delicious rich chocolate, and the luxury packaging and good customer service(the ice pack and heat insulator bag which you can keep for other uses as well), this price is very much lower if compared to many other big brands that provide such level of standards like Godiva, and only slightly more expensive than those other brands that offer cheaper range of chocolates like Ferreoro Rocher, Lindtt etc.

Location

Takashimaya Basement 2

(Outside Cold Storage and next to Godiva)

Royce Chocolate

Ratings (Total of 5 points)

Richness: 5.0

Taste: 5.0

Variety: 4.5

Presentation: 4.5

Price: $$$ (S$12.80 per box/20 pieces)

Overall: 4.5

Other remarks: Actually this Royce chocolate is pretty similar to one of the chocolate from Meiji that so far I cannot find any in Singapore yet. Apart from the richness in cocao, the Meiji chocolate that I am referring to also melt instantly once put into your mouth. I had lots of that chocolate when I was in Hong Kong as it is very much cheaper compared to Royce (only about S$4.00 per box). However, I had tried to bring that chocolate back to Singapore and due to the high temperature here, it melts very soon after and it cannot be put into fridge or else it will become too hard and lose that instant melting sensation. Whereas for Royce, the chocolate is still in excellent condition after putting into the fridge. This is truly what we called "you pay for what you get". So take note: Good chocolates usually melt above 20 degree celcius.

7 comments:

Janlyn Seow said...

Btw, there's another outlet at Suntec oop. Carrefour.

Anonymous said...

Hi... I believe the other chocolate you mentioned is the'melting kisses' from meiji... I saw it at the watson in harbourfront and believe me that is the only watson i'd seen so far carrying it... I got addicted to royce too when i first try it and find 'melting kisses' similar but then again what you say is right... you pay for what you get... ciaos

nina fraser said...

Reading through this while....eating a box of royce'. yum yum!!

carla said...

plese, I need information about choco potatoes chips...... because I need a homework..... can you give a information

shervain said...

love it so much...it melt my heart too

Unknown said...

Just got back from Japan last wednesday, everytime i went to Japan I always bought Royce chocholate at the airport, they have a new product 'caramel patatoes chips' it is very nice and I love royce . . .

Unknown said...

Lucky you guys, in Dubai it's sold for +AED 100, almost S$ 37

</3