Tuesday, April 10, 2007

MOF My Izakaya (Ministry of Food)


Last visited: 17 March 2007

Come across this Japanese restaurant at MS while my friends and I are searching for a place to celebrate my birthday. :) The restaurant's name is pretty eye-catchy with the word "M.O.F.". Hahaha...not the Ministry of Finance I mind you, but the Ministry of Food! Cool...lol They offer a wide range of Japanese food, and what made them stands out from other is their unique Japanese desserts with ingredients imported all the way from Hokkaido.

Comments: I have ordered the Salmon Sashimi, Seafood Touji bento set and Macha Zen (the green tea ice-cream with rice cakes in red bean paste; 6th photo from top). Gee...it was my birthday celebration so I ate more than I am supposed to. :P Anyway, the seafood touji (tofu on hotplate) was special and taste really good. And they use really good food ingredients--scallop, big fresh prawns, sotong...something you don't normally get it from other restaurants at the price of S$20 for a seafood bento set. Well, at most they will offer you the cheaper seafood like fish and crab meat.

The salmon sashimi is in a big portion and just the look at it makes me drool. The meat taste really fresh and sweet and meaty. You can actually leave the dish for a long time while you enjoy your other food or to continue chatting with your friends as there is a huge ice pack below it to keep it cold. But the most important of all is that you MUST try their desserts! The ingredient, stated by them, are mostly imported especially from Hokkaido, hence you won't usually get them around anywhere else in Singapore. As they strongly recommend you to try their Macha Imo (last 2nd photo from the bottom), it is vanilla ice cream with red bean paste and deep fried sweet potato. Though it may sounds like a strange combination, it tastes superb together! Thumbs up for it! ;)

Location

Ministry of Food Pte Ltd

MOF @ My Izakaya

6 Raffles Boulevard

#02-138E Marina Square

Singapore 039594

Tel: +65 6334 2202

www.ministryoffood.com.sg

Ratings (Total of 5 points)

Seafood Touji Bento Set

Ingredients: 5.0

Taste: 4.5

Freshness: 4.5

Variety: 4.0

Price: $$$$ (S$17.90-S$27.90 per set; alar carte ~ S$10)

Overall: 4.5

Desserts

Ingredients: 5.0

Taste: 4.5

Variety: 5.0

Presentation: 5.0

Price: $$$ (S$5.50-S$7.50)

Overall: 5.0!

Other remarks: The place is suitable for big groups gatherings and normal celebrations. It will be also the perfect place if you just want to have a nice decent dessert. Yet for couples who are looking for a romantic spot, it is definitely not recommendable as the open restaurant concept makes the place a little noisy and less cozy. When I visited there, its main customers appear to be young teenagers and adults...who probably are attracted by its special desserts too. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi hi,
I went to the same MOF restaurant too recently, but was the newly opened Bugis branch. I was almost walking into Sakae when i noticed this interesting new "Japanese Casual Restaurant & Cafe" located just right beside Sakae. Food was pretty good, ambience & decor fantastic I would say. Yes, speaking of their desserts, certainly a MUST TRY. Price is really reasonable for its food presentation & portion & quality used. I tried their Hot Stone Rice with the Tofu Seafood Toji Set too! Yummy!! Just that waiting time is a bit long for their Salmon Cutlet Sushi. The waitress told me they were all freshly-wrapped therefore will take a while. Well, anyway I won't mind waiting again as they were really really really fresh & good. It is my first time to eat HOT sushi! Yes the salmon cutlet wrapped inside was HOT & crispy, can you imagine? Thumbs up MOF!! For the price i am paying, i will definitely go back again.