Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Tiong Shian Porridge Centre


Last visited: 17 April 2007

Since my mum and I doesn't have a nice meal before this and not filling at all either, we carry on our eating journey to this coffee shop. It was one of the well-known places in Singapore for its Frog Leg Porridge. But due to some childhood phobia, I vow I will never eat frog leg ever again. And while everyone's eyes are on its porridge, I notice it also offers Claypot Fish Head Bee Hoon. Hence, I give that a try.

Comments: While it was famous for its Cantonese style porridge, its Claypot Fish Head Bee Hoon taste as good as well! The essence of Fish Head Bee Hoon is in its soup in which it contains a little coconut milk and it should not carry with it the typical natural seafood smell (鱼腥味). This soup taste perfect! It is pretty comparable to the very famous Holland Village XO Fish Head Bee Hoon, just without the XO sauce. The noodles are chewy and the fish head is fresh. I love it! :D

Yet one thing to take note is that it DOES NOT offer a very good side dishes...or at least the two dishes I have tasted so far, Fried Hoon Cheong (fried large pig intestine) and Loo Dou Fu (braised beancurd), are pretty bad. The fried hoon cheong taste burnt and is super hard to chew. The tofu sauce taste weird and doesn't compliment the tofu at all. Moreover, the tofu is not fresh and not tender and soft at all. But I have heard from my friend that their Sotong You Tiao is good...I would have to tell you again when I have tried it.

Location

265 New Bridge Rd S088745
Time: 0700 - 0230 (Off on Mondays)
Owner: Mr. Lim Wong Kee
Handphone: 9628 2002
Outlet: 6221 1596

Ratings (Total of 5 points)

Taste: 4.5

Ingredients: 4.0

Quality: 4.5

Cleaniness: 2.0

Price: $$$ (approx. S$5 for normal porridge and claypot fish head bee hoon; S$8/16 for claypot porridge - portion for two or more)

OVERALL: 4.0

Other remarks: It has been awarded with many rewards and recommendations -- Green Book Best Food Award 2003, Food Glorious Food 大小通吃, LianHe WanBao 联合晚报, Yummy King 优选美食王, FoodTrain 食在必行, FBI 好吃情报. Chinatown is indeed a place full of good food...HAO LIAO! :D You may want to check out on other recommended places at Chinatown yourself at this link: http://www.sbestfood.com/newbridge.htm.

No comments: